Adelaide

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Rainbows

Growing up, I loved rainbows.  I would draw and paint them all over the place.  I once made a ceramic dish at a crafts store (It was egg-shaped and had a lid on it).  I painted it sky blue with clouds and a beautiful rainbow on it.  I loved that thing!  I collected pictures of rainbows.  To this day, when I see a rainbow in the sky, it takes my breath away.  To me, a rainbow is a beautiful, colorful symbol of hope.  It is like a message from God.  It really bothers me that the rainbow has been usurped by the gay community and is now used as a symbol of gay pride.  I see the rainbow everywhere these days, but it does not bring me the joy that it used to.  It is very sad to me that something I loved is now being used to symbolize something I just cannot embrace.  Except for real rainbows in the sky, seeing rainbows is not a happy experience for me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment