Adelaide

Friday, October 14, 2011

Need To Catch Up

It has been a long time since I posted anything. I do not have any big event or special thoughts to write about. But here are a few things I have learned lately: (By the way, these are in no particular order)
1. Shingles is AWFUL!! I had no idea how painful it is! I currently have a virus that is related to Shingles in my mouth and on my face. I look HIDEOUS, with sores all around my mouth, but that is truly the LEAST of things. The whole left side of my head is killing me, including my left ear and the left side of my face is swollen. But the very WORST part is that all the teeth on the left side of my mouth feel like they must be totally abscessed or something. They hurt SO BAD!! It is scary to feel -- I worry that, even if I get rid of the virus, my teeth will never be the same and I will be in dentures soon! The doctor says that this virus is caused by 'extreme stress.' Well, I definitely have more than enough of that but still......I have been very stressed before and this has never happened. And, this type of virus is apparently the gift that keeps on giving: once you've had it, chances are you will experience symptoms again any time you are very stressed. YUCK!
2. It is never too late to find love. Tonight, I was talking to one of Roger's lodge brothers. He is 83. He just got married, three weeks ago, to a woman who is 62. They had both been married before. Her husband died in 1991. His wife died two years ago. He said that losing his wife, after 59 years of marriage, was hell. He was devastated. He got to the point where he didn't care if he lived or died. But here he is, at 83, a newlywed and so happy! It made me feel so good to talk to him.
3. Snail Mail is important. Now, honestly, this is NOT something I have just learned recently. I have always loved to write letters and receive them. I look forward each day to going to the mailbox. There is always such possibility there. But I read a story last night about a woman who said that she was once driving along a road somewhere and she saw an elderly man, walking with a cane, slowly making his way to the mailbox at the end of the drive. When he got there, he opened the box and it was empty. She said he had the saddest look on his face. It broke her heart. She decided, then and there, to write at least one letter each and every day, and she said she has pretty much stuck to that. Now, seriously, even if she was only going 25 MPH, it would have been hard to see all of that while driving by. However, it is a very sweet story and an even better goal to have. I am not saying that I will write a letter each and every day, but I definitely want to have the goal of writing at least one or two a week.
4. I have a wonderful, wonderful husband! First, I sustained the injury at work, so for months I have been totally useless as far as doing anything around the house is concerned. He has been so patient and supportive and kind. Driving me around because it hurts my arm to do it. Accompanying me to the doctor's office time after time. Then, this weekend, I break-out with this horrible virus (see number 1, above) so that I cannot even kiss him and I look like a monster. He still tells me I am beautiful to him and hugs me and comforts me. I don't know how I got so lucky to marry Roger, but I will always be grateful and will always be trying to be a better wife to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment