Adelaide

Friday, May 15, 2009

Well, It Had To Happen Sometime!

I got a call from a member of the Bishopric on Wednesday night, asking if I could come and meet with him and the Bishop. You know, one of those 'friendly' calls that lets you know you are about to get a new calling. So, I went, thinking they were probably going to ask me to be on the homemaking committee (or enrichment, or whatever we're calling it this week!) I'd talked to the homemaking chairman about this a couple of weeks ago and said I'd be happy to help out. So, I was quite surprised when they asked me to be a counselor in the Primary presidency.

Now, I have always said that this is one thing I just don't get about the church: they call you to do the same jobs you already to 5 days a week. If you are in finance, what calling do you have? Ward Financial Clerk! If you are a piano teacher, guess what you do on Sundays? Play the piano for all the meetings, of course! If you are a school teacher, what do they ask you to do? Teach Primary! It's like nobody every thinks, "Gee, they already do that sort of things 5 days a week. Maybe they'd like to do something different here at church." So, I have always feared being called to the Primary. Funny thing, I have not worked in the Primary since I was in high school. It was held on Thursday afternoons back then, so I have no idea how it works on Sundays. I do not know any of the children in the ward. But, I was brought up to always say yes to callings, so I did say I'd be in the Primary presidency. I also told them I would really miss teaching Relief Society. I didn't tell them that the other counselor in the presidency seems like a weirdo to me. I am hoping that, when we get to know each other better, we will get along great. I do like the girl who is the President. She is a very spiritual girl who I have been very impressed with. (By the way, both of those two are in their 30's making me, at the age of 49, the 'grandma' of the group!) And I do believe that she would have prayed about who to ask for as counselors and that she and the Bishop are both inspired people.

Obviously, I am feeling rather mixed about this whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment