Adelaide

Sunday, September 29, 2013

6th Graders are Pretty Cool!

Well, I am really enjoying my mornings teaching 6th grade.  I have two periods of science and two periods of history -- all with the 6th grade students.  They are quite chatty and noisy, which I am really trying to get under control, but I really do enjoy them.  I really have such love in my heart for them, particularly the ones I know well from having taught them in previous years. I feel like I can really make a difference in many of their lives and like I can really talk to them honestly about things.  So my mornings are essentially good. 
After lunch is when things fall apart for me.  I have ELD (Although I am not supposed to call it ELD because of some compliance issue, so I am now calling it Oral Language), Speech and Debate, and Study Hall.  These three are all classes with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders combined.  I know quite a few of the 7th and 8th grade students because I had them in previous years as well, but I am not loving them as much as the 6th graders.  The 7th and 8th graders are so rude and defiant and obnoxious and I just dread the afternoons so much!  I am trying to do all of the things that Mrs. Theis suggests for these three groups, but it just seems like the kids absolutely could not care less about school or anything I try to do, no matter how fun I think it might be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment